Friday, November 28, 2008

obsessed with obi best.



I keep all kinds of lists. Things to do, books to read, music to hear and art to admire. I finally got around to checking out a name on my music list, Obi Best, and I'm so glad I did. I'm just gonna admit the obvious: I mostly love it because her voice resembles my other two favorites, Maura Davis of Denali and Ivana XL.

Lead singer Alex Lilly is best known as backup singer for Inara George in The Bird and the Bee. But dear god...a backup singer? Why? Her voice is AMAZING. She took 10 of her friends to create the band Obi Best and recorded a debut album called Capades. It will be physically released on February 24, 2009 but has been digitally available since August.

Of the six songs I've heard, this one's my fave. Hear more at their myspace.

Obi Best - Green and White Stripes

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! The Bird and the Bee are one of my favorites! I didn't even know Inara had a backup singer???

Anonymous said...

Have you heard of Loquat? every time their stuff comes on SOMA FM or woxy I seem to jot it down...sort of ethereal female indie stuff...seems like it would be up your alley, ally.

allison said...

Oh yes! Loquat. I always forget about them, but I love their sound. "Take it Back" is the catchiest song EVERRRRR.

x
allion

allison said...

I didn't know Inara had a backup singer either, and it's weird that they sound so similar!

x
allison